Suggested Grade Level(s):
- K - Math
- Know number names and the count sequence | K.CC.3:
Write numbers from 0 to 20. Represent a number of objects with a written numeral 0-20 (with 0 representing a count of no objects).
- K - Math
- Count to tell the number of objects | K.CC.4:
Understand the relationship between numbers and quantitites; connect counting to cardinality.
Purpose of Activity (objectives, etc.):
Students will work in a group to count the dots on a dice, record the number, and then count or add to find a total.
- Large soft dice 4" x 4" - one for each group of students
- small dry erase board and marker for each group
- Place students into equal groups. Give each group one dry erase board, marker, and soft dice.
- Place a spot or line about ten feet from a wall. Students line up behind the line. The first student in the line kicks the dice towards the wall and waits for it to stop.
- The students goes to the dice and reads the number it stopped on. The student then brings the dice back to the next student in the group who takes their turn. The returning student writes down the number their dice stopped on and then goes to the end of the line.
- Depending on the skills being developed during this lesson (adding or counting or both), the teacher can decide prior to the game if the students should simply record their number or draw out the dots.
Students kicks the dice and it stops on 5.
Student can record a 5 or
Student can record ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ or
Student can record both.
- At the end of a designated time the students work in their group adding up total score.
Adapted from Rick Dekeon - original lesson idea posted on Dekeonís Physical Activity Page, Northside Elementary, Ann Arbor MI